Tuesday 10 January 2012

Graphic Novel Research.

When we we're given our brief for this project, it was mentioned that we should make our interactive narratives have little to no dialogue.

A long with looking at graphic novels and comics for some insight on panelling and narrative flow, I looked at a graphic novel which had no text. Pandala, written and drawn by Bertrand Hottin. What I noticed when reading Pandala (compared to graphic novels with dialogue) was that I was taking more time to appreciate the art and understand that story world - as there was no text, I had to make that extra effort to work out what was going on. For the most part, I enjoyed this experience however there were times when I was completely at a lost as to what was going on. Running into blocks like that slowed down the narration and ruined the experience.

Pages 9 and 31 from Pandala Vol 2.

Another thing I came to notice was that there were a lot of middle to full body shots within books, and close-ups/head shots used. I assume this is because the need for body language when verbal dialect doesnt exist.

I looked over a number of styles of comics to try and discern the ways artists have shown and emphasised expressions and situations. I was also looking for inspiration as to what art style to try and use for my project as I wanted to challenge myself with this project again.

One of the comics I'm looking at is Brodie's Law. The artwork is by David Bircham and I've admired his style for a few years now. The style he used in Brodie's Law isn't completely realistic but there is enough detail to give it a feel other than just a cartoon drawing. Also, as I'm still not confident with painting/drawing in colour, I found the way David bought colour into the pages helpful for my own work.

Pages 6 & 7 from Brodies Law Vol 1

No comments:

Post a Comment