Thursday 18 October 2012

First stage of researching



Our final year project is in a way similar to the BA6. We’re setting out own learning agreement and brief that will carry through to BA8. 

BA7 is focused on the researching elements of the project and production. Our learning agreements are all based on elements of researching.
 
LO1 is looking for in-depth research into games culture and converging cultures relating to my study and practice. My project is taking me down the path of researching in writing technique and styles as I’m looking to move into the games industry as a narrative designer. Already I’ve got myself a reading list through research and discussion with English graduates and websites with writers and editors recommendations.
What I’m doing for the moment is reading books on creative writing, character creation & development and plot & structure. I’ll also be reading short stories and referring back to literature pieces I’ve already read and breaking down what aspects of these pieces of writings gripped me as a reader – character vs plot.
My research report is tying in closely to my studio work as my research report will be a reflective journal documenting my study in writing and writing techniques.

In addition I am going to be applying for the Daiwa Foundation Scholarship.
The scholarship is for 19months stay in Japan. If successful I will be studying in a Tokyo University learning the Japanese language. It also includes work placement relevant to each student’s career goals and a homestay opportunity to enhance their experience and understanding of Japan.
The success of this scholarship would be extremely beneficial to me upon my return to the UK. Having the language skills and understanding of another culture are bonus skills especially in such an internationally diverse industry. With Japan having been a large influence in the industry, the skills and experience developed through this scholarship would certainly help me enter the games industry and add further influence to my narrative abilities. 

http://www.dajf.org.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment